Zum Inhalt springen

Foundry Virtual Tabletop

Biggles

Empfohlene Beiträge

Eine vielversprechende Roll20 Alternative: https://foundryvtt.com/

Insbesondere die Möglichkeit, eigene Regelsystem in Form von "Game Systems" über die API zu integrieren, macht das aus meiner Sicht hoch interessant.

Damit wäre also auch eine Regelsystemunterstützung für MIDGARD möglich. Das wäre selbstverständlich lizenztechnisch zunächst einmal mit dem VF&SF abzuklären.

Von MOAM könnten dann "Game System Specific Data Templates" für Spielfiguren integriert werden.

Mag sich das noch jemand mal unter diesen Aspekten anschauen?

Bearbeitet von Biggles
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ich habe FVTT über eine anderes Rollenspielsystem kennengelernt und bin über das Preis-/Leistungsverhältnis gegenüber Roll20 begeistert. Aus dem Grund hatte ich Biggles auch auf FVTT hingewiesen.

FVTT kostet momentan 5 USD pro Monat und hat den Leistungsumfang, den man als GM bei Roll20 erst ab 9,99 USD erhält. Gleichzeitig soll FVTT, sobald es marktreife erreicht hat, für 30-50 USD käuflich erwerbbar sein, wo dann keinerlei monatliche Gebühren mehr anfallen.

Ich benutze es momentan nur als "Peer-to-peer using a native application". Die Betreibung eines dedicated Standalone-Server wäre aber auch möglich.  Dies könnte evtl. aus lizenztechnischen Gründen interessant sein, wenn die Server über MOAM betrieben werden. So könnte Biggles auch für seinen Aufwand entschädigt werden.

Bearbeitet von Lemeriel

Ok, ich hatte nun einen recht ausführlichen Chat mit dem Macher vom FVTT. 

Er ist aktuell ausgesprochen widerwillig bis gar nicht bereit, über Lizenzen für einen oder mehrere dedizierte Server in einem Servicemodell wie MOAM zu reden, sondern will derzeit nur "self-hosted reselling". 

Das wiederum ist für mich nicht ansprechend und so sind wir da erst mal nicht weiter gekommen.

Ich habe ein wenig das Gefühl, seine Abneigung rührt daher, dass er sich über den "Dedicated Server as a Service"-Aspekt unter lizenztechnischen Gesichtspunkten noch nicht genug Gedanken gemacht hat und dafür in der jetzigen Projektphase auch keine Zeit findet.

So haben wir die Fortsetzung des Gesprächs bis auf Weiteres (bis die erste Final rauskommt?) vertagt.

Wen es interessiert, anbei das Chatprotokoll:

Spoiler

Biggles
Hi Atropos, I have a question regarding the licensing of the final product and have been told to best ask you directly.
I currently have the exclusive license from a certain RPG to use its ruleset in online applications.
I am toying with the idea to support Foundry VTT from within my platform, by hosting dedicated servers with Game System support for the RPG in question.
I already host a service for a few thousand users. Some of them GMs, most of them not.
Any idea how we could make that work with your licensing model?

Atropos
hey! thanks for reaching out - I'd love to talk about this, there's some nuance here it would be good to discuss

Biggles
Let's discuss then.
Maybe a bit background for clarification: My web application is free-to-play / pay-what-you-want  and German only (since the RPG is German only).

Atropos
I think my biggest concern revolves around the hosting service.
would dedicated hosting as a service be a fundamental component of the ruleset your provide?
or could the system for FVTT simply be sold as a paid system?
allowing users to self-host their games using that ruleset?

Biggles
I would very much like the hosting as a service to be part of the deal.
Though self-hosting could be an option but for that the users wouldn't need my application.
The main benefit I see with the hosting of dedicated servers is that actors (which are maintained in my application) can (hopefully) be easily transferred into scenarios within Foundry VTT.

Atropos
OK, I think I get some idea. So your hosted service maintains things like character data with centralized persistence
and then you would want those characters to be imported into the FVTT game for use during a session(Bearbeitet)
and have data synchronized back to your centralized db?

Biggles
The synchronization back isn't even necessary, I think (although might be a nice extra). Otherwise yes, and with the hosted service being the only one providing this specific ruleset honoring my exclusive license with the right owners of the RPG.

Atropos
ok, gotcha
well, my impression is that this is a solvable problem by simply building some small integrations in the FVTT game system to fetch data from your service
so I would be very much in favor of exploring that route which would allow for the benefits you describe, but without the need for do dedicated hosting of FVTT sessions
this stays more true to the FVTT vision of promoting self-hosting of gaming
and is compatible with my vision for exploring service-level options for FVTT hosting as a potential business opportunity in the  future
I think there is a compromise here that can work well for both of us

Biggles
So just to make sure I understand you correctly: You do not like to give out licenses for dedicated  servers at this time, because you want to keep that as an option for later.
While I don't think self hosting is for everyone, specifically not my user base, who are quite used to centralised services.

Atropos
yeah, that's right - but, I still think there is a straightforward way for you to provide and monetize a system implementation for your product for FVTT
hmm, yeah, if you think your customer base would not be in favor of hosting their own game sessions
perhaps that reduces the attractiveness of the opportunity
I would, however, be surprised if that were the case
self-hosting is awesome and empowering 

Biggles
Well, imagine you are already happily using a platform that offers you most things that you need for your online rpg of choice.
Now the provider comes along and tells you, look I have found a much nicer way to visualize the tabletop.
But for that not only do you have to pay a bit of money (not a problem I think), but also you have to install and self host a bit of software.
That might be empowering but it also might mean ppl will say thanks, but no thanks.
And also once the ruleset is away in a self hosting environment, then it is no longer exclusive, and that will be a problem not only for me but also for the rights holder (publisher)

Atropos
gotcha, well, I disagree somewhat --- but I think perhaps we could still work something out if the licensing arrangement was sensible and the guarantee of service on your end makes sense with the end user (customer) in mind
I do think you should simply consider packaging your system as a paid module for FVTT and selling it directly - but if that isn't a good option for you I think this becomes quite a bit more tricky

Biggles
Well, you do have dedicated servers as a business model in mind (for later). That's probably what I have in mind, too.
If that is not something you want to do right now, because you have too much other stuff on your plate, I understand.
So my current take away from this is, I should probably wait a bit more until such a time that you explore the dedicated servers as a service level business opportunity.

Atropos
perhaps, but even then - there is a question around how you intend to get your game system into the user's hands
you need to vend the system files for use in the game

Biggles
Those are JSON files within the file system of the server if I understood correctly, right?

Atropos
that's part of it, but also JS/HTML/CSS/etc...
all those assets are packaged in the system and distributed to clients as needed

Biggles
Sure, but all residing in the file system of the server. So if I run that server, all is well.
That it is available in the browser eventually is fine, of course.
Btw, the monetizing aspect isn't the most important thing for me. I am making very little money from it as it is, and I am fine with that.
My main drive is to give users of my web application a better user experience.
But definitely not to drive them away from my application altogether.

Atropos
gotcha

Biggles
Ok, I think we have exchanged our respective points of view and maybe we should leave it here for the time being, to consider our options. Thanks for your time and keep up the great work. 

Atropos
yeah, of course! thanks for your interest in collaborating to the FVTT environment. I hope there's some opportunity to do that in the future once things settle out a bit more
definitely appreciate your support and hope we can figure it out 

Biggles
I'll come back to you on this topic once you've released you first final. 
Bye for now.

Bearbeitet von Biggles
Chatprotokoll angehängt.
  • Thanks 5

Dieses Browserpluging Beyond20, mit dem ich den D&D-CHaractersheet aud D&D Beyond direkt in Roll20 verwende, kann das laut Anleitung auch mit FVTT.

Ich kenne mich da nicht so aus, aber vielleicht ist es langfristig einfach besser, wenn es eine Seite gibt, die sich auf die Charakterverwaltung kümmert und lizensiert ist, und eine Seite die das VTT macht? Und untereinander kommunizieren die mit Browserplugins, dann kann ich als Anwender alles mit allem nutzen.

Das klingt für mich, als würde das Plugin Cross-Site-Scripting machen, was eigentlich "verboten" sein sollte. Aber vielleicht geht es auch ganz anders. 

Dazu müsste sich das Browser-Plugin mal $Person genauer anschauen. Wäre cool, wenn $Person nicht unbedingt ich sein müsste.

Bearbeitet von Biggles

Ich habe mir den Source Code von Beyond20 mal angeschaut, allerdings habe ich nur gefährliches Halbwissen über so Web-Gedöns 😉 Hier meine Erkenntnisse bisher:

- als Extension für Chrome und Firefox programmiert

- nutzt Message Passing zur Kommunikation zwischen der Extension und den Roll20 / FVTT Content Scripts

- injiziert über die Extension eigene Scripts nach Roll20 / FVTT

- ist in RapydScript oder so was programmiert, der Source Code ist jefenfalls sehr Python-artig

- der Autor glaubt nicht an den Sinn von Kommentaren / Doku (oder ich habe Tomaten auf den Augen)

Wenn man weiß was man tut, kann man das glaube ich gut abspecken um z.B. MOAM-Würfelergebnisse nach Roll20 / FVTT zu schicken oder LP/AP-Werte dort in den Token Bars darzustellen. Technisch schön ist das irgendwie nicht, aber scheint ja zu funktionieren 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 6 Monate später...
Am 20.8.2019 um 19:50 schrieb Biggles:

Ok, ich hatte nun einen recht ausführlichen Chat mit dem Macher vom FVTT. 

Er ist aktuell ausgesprochen widerwillig bis gar nicht bereit, über Lizenzen für einen oder mehrere dedizierte Server in einem Servicemodell wie MOAM zu reden, sondern will derzeit nur "self-hosted reselling". 

Das wiederum ist für mich nicht ansprechend und so sind wir da erst mal nicht weiter gekommen.

Ich habe ein wenig das Gefühl, seine Abneigung rührt daher, dass er sich über den "Dedicated Server as a Service"-Aspekt unter lizenztechnischen Gesichtspunkten noch nicht genug Gedanken gemacht hat und dafür in der jetzigen Projektphase auch keine Zeit findet.

So haben wir die Fortsetzung des Gesprächs bis auf Weiteres (bis die erste Final rauskommt?) vertagt.

Wen es interessiert, anbei das Chatprotokoll:

Unsichtbaren Inhalt anzeigen

Biggles
Hi Atropos, I have a question regarding the licensing of the final product and have been told to best ask you directly.
I currently have the exclusive license from a certain RPG to use its ruleset in online applications.
I am toying with the idea to support Foundry VTT from within my platform, by hosting dedicated servers with Game System support for the RPG in question.
I already host a service for a few thousand users. Some of them GMs, most of them not.
Any idea how we could make that work with your licensing model?

Atropos
hey! thanks for reaching out - I'd love to talk about this, there's some nuance here it would be good to discuss

Biggles
Let's discuss then.
Maybe a bit background for clarification: My web application is free-to-play / pay-what-you-want  and German only (since the RPG is German only).

Atropos
I think my biggest concern revolves around the hosting service.
would dedicated hosting as a service be a fundamental component of the ruleset your provide?
or could the system for FVTT simply be sold as a paid system?
allowing users to self-host their games using that ruleset?

Biggles
I would very much like the hosting as a service to be part of the deal.
Though self-hosting could be an option but for that the users wouldn't need my application.
The main benefit I see with the hosting of dedicated servers is that actors (which are maintained in my application) can (hopefully) be easily transferred into scenarios within Foundry VTT.

Atropos
OK, I think I get some idea. So your hosted service maintains things like character data with centralized persistence
and then you would want those characters to be imported into the FVTT game for use during a session(Bearbeitet)
and have data synchronized back to your centralized db?

Biggles
The synchronization back isn't even necessary, I think (although might be a nice extra). Otherwise yes, and with the hosted service being the only one providing this specific ruleset honoring my exclusive license with the right owners of the RPG.

Atropos
ok, gotcha
well, my impression is that this is a solvable problem by simply building some small integrations in the FVTT game system to fetch data from your service
so I would be very much in favor of exploring that route which would allow for the benefits you describe, but without the need for do dedicated hosting of FVTT sessions
this stays more true to the FVTT vision of promoting self-hosting of gaming
and is compatible with my vision for exploring service-level options for FVTT hosting as a potential business opportunity in the  future
I think there is a compromise here that can work well for both of us

Biggles
So just to make sure I understand you correctly: You do not like to give out licenses for dedicated  servers at this time, because you want to keep that as an option for later.
While I don't think self hosting is for everyone, specifically not my user base, who are quite used to centralised services.

Atropos
yeah, that's right - but, I still think there is a straightforward way for you to provide and monetize a system implementation for your product for FVTT
hmm, yeah, if you think your customer base would not be in favor of hosting their own game sessions
perhaps that reduces the attractiveness of the opportunity
I would, however, be surprised if that were the case
self-hosting is awesome and empowering 

Biggles
Well, imagine you are already happily using a platform that offers you most things that you need for your online rpg of choice.
Now the provider comes along and tells you, look I have found a much nicer way to visualize the tabletop.
But for that not only do you have to pay a bit of money (not a problem I think), but also you have to install and self host a bit of software.
That might be empowering but it also might mean ppl will say thanks, but no thanks.
And also once the ruleset is away in a self hosting environment, then it is no longer exclusive, and that will be a problem not only for me but also for the rights holder (publisher)

Atropos
gotcha, well, I disagree somewhat --- but I think perhaps we could still work something out if the licensing arrangement was sensible and the guarantee of service on your end makes sense with the end user (customer) in mind
I do think you should simply consider packaging your system as a paid module for FVTT and selling it directly - but if that isn't a good option for you I think this becomes quite a bit more tricky

Biggles
Well, you do have dedicated servers as a business model in mind (for later). That's probably what I have in mind, too.
If that is not something you want to do right now, because you have too much other stuff on your plate, I understand.
So my current take away from this is, I should probably wait a bit more until such a time that you explore the dedicated servers as a service level business opportunity.

Atropos
perhaps, but even then - there is a question around how you intend to get your game system into the user's hands
you need to vend the system files for use in the game

Biggles
Those are JSON files within the file system of the server if I understood correctly, right?

Atropos
that's part of it, but also JS/HTML/CSS/etc...
all those assets are packaged in the system and distributed to clients as needed

Biggles
Sure, but all residing in the file system of the server. So if I run that server, all is well.
That it is available in the browser eventually is fine, of course.
Btw, the monetizing aspect isn't the most important thing for me. I am making very little money from it as it is, and I am fine with that.
My main drive is to give users of my web application a better user experience.
But definitely not to drive them away from my application altogether.

Atropos
gotcha

Biggles
Ok, I think we have exchanged our respective points of view and maybe we should leave it here for the time being, to consider our options. Thanks for your time and keep up the great work. 

Atropos
yeah, of course! thanks for your interest in collaborating to the FVTT environment. I hope there's some opportunity to do that in the future once things settle out a bit more
definitely appreciate your support and hope we can figure it out 

Biggles
I'll come back to you on this topic once you've released you first final. 
Bye for now.

Hi, Er scheint da nun ne konkretere Vorstellung zu haben :) - evtl kommt ihr da ja noch mal ins Gespräch ?   Würde mir ne Menge arbeit sparen 😛

• 3 Wochen später...

Foundry VTT halte ich zwar prinzipiell für ne vernünftige Software, aber Leute mit einem nur schmalem Upstream werden nicht viel Spass damit haben. Der Rechner des Spielleiters spielt hier den Host. Das heißt alle Daten werden vom SL an alle anderen Spieler übertragen. Auf der Foundry-Homepage wird ein Upstram von mindestens 5mbit empfohlen. Dazu kommt noch die benötigte Bandbreite für Voice und Video. Ich befürchte, das wird nur was für Spielleiter mit einer echt schnellen Anbindung. 

Es wird zwar empfohlen auf Cloudspeicher auszuweichen, ich halte das aber für weniger gut. Karten etc. (also oftmals Urheberrechtlich geschütztes Material) muss frei zugänglich platziert werden. 

Bearbeitet von Abd al Rahman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 Monate später...
Am 19.8.2019 um 18:39 schrieb Biggles:

Eine vielversprechende Roll20 Alternative: http://foundryvtt.com/index.html

Insbesondere die Möglichkeit, eigene Regelsystem in Form von "Game Systems" über die API zu integrieren, macht das aus meiner Sicht hoch interessant.

Damit wäre also auch eine Regelsystemunterstützung für MIDGARD möglich. Das wäre selbstverständlich lizenztechnisch zunächst einmal mit dem VF&SF abzuklären.

Von MOAM könnten dann "Game System Specific Data Templates" für Spielfiguren integriert werden.

Mag sich das noch jemand mal unter diesen Aspekten anschauen?

Hallo, ist das Thema noch aktuell? Gibt es eine Möglichkeit die Lizenzrechte seitens Midgard und MOAM zu klären? 

Ich finde selbst mit Selfhosting ist es ein Super Tool. Bei Nitrado und Co. ist so ein Server ja nicht sehr Teuer zumal wenn die Spieler ihn sich teilen.

Ich würde gerne an einem "Moam to Foundry" projekt mitarbeiten wenn z.B. du @Biggles das vorantreibst. 

• Like 1

Ich selbst werde das nicht voran treiben, sondern das bestenfalls unterstützen.

Ich habe allerdings nicht die Geduld, mich in die lizenzrechtlichen Aus- und Nebenwirkungen des Selfhostings einzuarbeiten, nachdem ein zentrales Serverhosting ja offenbar weiterhin nicht vorgesehen zu sein scheint.

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Abd al Rahman:

Ich hab angefangen Midgard zu bauen. 

Das ist super.  Nachdem alle  in meinem Bekanntenkreis Roll20 genutzt haben, merkt man nach und nach den Schwenk zu den anderen Plattformen. 

Foundry wird am meisten positiv erwähnt.  Hatte auch schon mal überlegt.  Wenn es das was für Midgard gibt umso besser.  

Dann klinke ich mich an dieser Stelle auch einmal ein. Ich bin jetzt seit circa einem halben Jahr dabei, die Regeln parallel zum Fortschreiten meiner Gruppe zu implementieren. Das ist natürlich immer ein gewisser Drahtseilakt, denn neben der Programmierung und dem Vorbereiten der nächsten Spielsitzung hat man ja auch noch ein restliches Leben, d. h. da sind einige Kompromisse und Lücken im System, aber zumindest unsere Gruppe kann damit schon recht gut spielen. Aktuell sind zumindest die grundsätzlichen Datenblätter implementiert, der Einsatz von Fähigkeiten funktioniert bis auf einige Sonderfähigkeiten wie Scharfschießen, Initiative und Handlungsrang sind drin; Nah- und Fernkampfangriffe funktionieren grundsätzlich, auch der Schaden wird korrekt berechnet, hier mangelt es vor allem noch an speziellen Kampftechniken, WMs und kritischen Fehlern / Treffern. Am meisten Luft ist wohl noch – welch eine Überraschung – bei den Zaubern. Hier sind zumindest Schäden und die meisten Modifikationen von Attributen implementiert, aber da ist auf jeden Fall noch Luft nach oben.

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Abd al Rahman:

Mal schaun wann ich was vorzeigbares habe. Ich kann schon jetzt sagen, dass Foundry zwar mehr Möglichkeiten bietet aber auch um einiges komplexer ist. Die Flexibilität erkauft man sich durch einen höheren Entwicklungsaufwand. 

Da kann ich dir nur zustimmen. Insbesondere die Dokumentation für Entwickler ist leider nicht ganz optimal.

• Like 2
vor einer Stunde schrieb Abd al Rahman:

Wenn ich das Ganze offiziell anbieten will (das heißt sls System per Download). Bin ich leider was die Funktionalität angeht eingeschränkt. Ich muss recht generisch bleiben, kann z.B. nicht einzelne Zauber abbilden oder zu sehr ins Regeldetail gehen. 

Warum Musst du Generisch bleiben? Kann man nicht so viel wie Möglich übernehmen? Ähnlich wie in MOAM?

Gibt es ein Git Repo und kann ich dich Unterstützen? 

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Gil-nim:

Das Problem ist die Lizenz. Wenn das ganze nicht lizenziert ist, muss man halt auch so weit weg vom Regelwerk bleiben, dass man die Lizenzen nicht verletzt.

Genau das @TooTz 

Ich verwende GitHub. Aber wenn das so ähnlich läuft wie mit dem Bogen für Roll20 bin ich mit dem Bogen fertig wenn ich alles notwendige gelernt habe.

Habe letztens Mal Savage Worlds mit Fantasy Grounds gespielt. Wenn das eine oder andere automatisiert läuft, finde ich das super. Ich hatte mit dem Mac bei FG mit den Fenstern  irgendwie Probleme, sonst hätte ich es mir fast gekauft. Wenn man bedenkt, dass ich vor über einem Jahr nicht online spielen wollte. 🤫😂

Ich denke Systeme mit einer guten VTT Unterstützung werden langfristig an Boden gewinnen. (Bei Storytellersystemen nicht so wichtig). Leute werden auch in Zukunft eher bereit sein, für ein VTT-Regelmodul/Charaktertool Geld zu zahlen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1